Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Day 5: Blood, Sweat, and Butterflies. (And horses) (And ants)



Why hello there! Nice of you to stop by on day 5 of our Costa Rica Extravaganza!!





Alright, alright, all jokes aside, this trip has been beyond what can be considered an amazing experience, and today did not disappoint. With breakfast starting at 7:30am, a few of us have gotten in the habit of waking up earlier to read in the hammocks or do a bit of yoga before our busy busy day, and this morning was no different. After breakfast, we were split up roughly into two groups and set off on our morning excursion. Our first stop was to the butterfly garden we had visited earlier in the week, except this time we were the ones putting in the work. Our morning chore was not 'make your bed' or 'help clean after breakfast', no, ours was to help extend and dig 1 meter by 1 meter by 1 meter holes, as well as searching for Gmelina Arborea plants to help plant around the edge of the property. After a bit of team-work, blood, sweat, and tear, our shift was done and it was on to the next stop. 



This stop was the one I was more excited about. Most people wouldn't necessarily see a "horse girl" when they look at me, however, I can tell you all right now that the 6-year old, horse obsessed, little girl in me just about lost her mind when finding out we would be horseback riding. Horseback riding by itself is a blast, but through the different biomes of Costa Rica? Even better. Not only were the sights around us breathtaking, but most of us were having so much fun that even the start of a downpour rain didn't make us bat a single eyelash. Afterwards, we were sent drenched to lunch and to start the rest of our science filled day.



Today was the day that we started working on our experiments. I know that everyone was beyond excited to start working on the ideas they'd come up with. So excited in fact, that when we were supposed to take a break at 5pm before dinner, all the groups kept working up until just a couple minutes before the food was served.



As I'm sitting out here on the deck at the end of this night, I just find it so great to be working in the company of so many kids with the same enjoyment for science as me. I may not be all that into the biology section of science, but the process of what we're doing is so captivating that honestly, it doesn't really matter what the topic is about. For all I care, we could've been researching and conducting experiments about what's the best type of kitty litter.

Anyways, if you don't mind me, I'll be ending my day the same way I started it. On the cabin porch, in the hammock, reading a book before calling it a night.

Signing off,
Andreea Moisei :)










1 comment:

  1. A hard working day for sure sprinkled with some fun! I'm jealous of your horseback riding, something I certainly love. Happy you're getting into your experiments and didn't want to stop. A great demonstration of everyone's enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete

Day 9: Last Day at Horizontes

Day 9: Vamos a la playa: El ultimo dia Hello from all nine of us from our current stay at Horizontes!  Today began with breakfast ...